May 13, 2003
RANDOM THOUGHT: AMAZON.COM RECOMMENDATIONS


I am bewildered by the book recommendations Amazon.com is offering me lately: At least a third are by the existentialists -- Jean-Paul Sartre, Albert Camus, etc. -- none of which I care for now nor have I appreciated them much in the past, nor have I purchased anything by any existentialist since I was in college.


And recommending Virginia Woolf to me? Please. She's virtually unreadable.


I wonder from where they're getting these absurd notions. True, I have great respect and admiration for the works of Franz Kafka and Thomas Mann, and their books are continually offered up as recommendations, but I've never bought their writings at Amazon. And besides, the link between Kafka and Mann and Sartre and Camus seems tenuous to me.


That's all. Just a random thought.

0 comments :

Post a Comment