July 15, 2003
GEMAKKELIJK


As noted at The Rittenhouse Review and elsewhere, I’ve been spending some time recently teaching myself how to speak, or at least read, Dutch.


I’ve made some mistakes along the way, but even after those errors I feel confident in stating that when one knows English and German, it’s not that difficult to pick up a reading knowledge of Dutch.


It’s kind of a cool language, actually. I like the way it sounds. Easily my favorite word is gemakkelijk, which, roughly translated, means handy, easy, comfortable, or convenient.


I like not only the meaning of the word as it’s used it Dutch, but the way it sounds as well. But you have to get the first and last syllables just right. And that second syllable can be a little tricky as well.


Gemakkelijk.


Can you say that, boys and girls?


Gemakkelijk.

0 comments :

Post a Comment