July 24, 2003
A NEW CANDY BAR WINS MY AFFECTION


An entirely unintended consequence of the fact that, when I was growing up my father owned a supermarket, is that I have a sweet tooth that cannot be satisfied. Ever.


I love candy. And cookies, brownies, and milkshakes. Candy and variegated sweets in all of their gorgeous forms. Don’t even try to stop me.


The fact that my father owned a store, a haven that for years fed my unyielding hankerings -- the same yearnings, by the way, for which my parents paid dearly at the dentist’s office [Ed.: See nos. 86 through 93.] -- spared me that rite of youthful passage known as, well, “shoplifting.”


What? Huh? I need to rip off the Wheelers with a Milky Way bar to prove myself to you guys? I don’t think so. What the hell are we doing here anyway? Let’s go across the street. It’s free there. And legal.


I mean, please . . . I had at my disposal all the candy my friends and I could eat and then some.


Whatever.


But I’ve yet to grow out of this. I’m still a candy nut.


And today I tried something new, something called “Snickers Crunchier.”


I bought it.


Today.


I brought it home.


I froze it.


I broke it.


And then I ate it.


And in the immortal words of Homer Simpson: Uuuugh . . . Amazing!

0 comments :

Post a Comment