July 07, 2003
“PHILA-SMELL-PHIA?”


I haven’t lived in Philadelphia for very long, but even before arriving I had been in and out of here a fair amount over the previous 15 years. I like this city. I always have. I love it, even. I really do. I’ve even taken a role here at TRR as a Philly booster. It’s not an easy job, and I assure you it’s a thankless job, but it’s one I’ll keep doing, at least until something better comes along.


Of course, my job isn’t made any easier when the Philadelphia Daily News, the tabloid that reflects the character of its hometown more than any newspaper in America (Neal Pollack told me that once, and I agree), runs a cover that reads, “PHILLY MOST FOUL,” packaged with a lead story headlined, “City’s So Pee-tiful, We’re Raising a Stink.”


Okay, so there are some trouble spots. But when it comes to human waste on public display, we’ve got nothing on New York.


The city just started living down “Filthy-delphia,” a holdover from the 1980s. What are we now? “Phila-smell-phia”?

0 comments :

Post a Comment