August 13, 2003
OVERHEARD: CENTER CITY PHILADELPHIA

TRR’s Continuing Series of Local Eavesdropping


I overheard this conversation earlier this afternoon while placing my order at the Taco Bell at the Gallery at Market East in Center City Philadelphia. (Food-court dining at its very best, I assure you.)


After being greeted by the cashier -- “May I take your order?” -- a twentysomething female customer in the line to my left said, “I’d like a number-five combo.”


For those readers not periodically compelled to make a run “to the border,” the number-five combo consists of Nachos Grande Supreme, a Taco Supreme, and the beverage of one’s choice.


Let’s listen in from there:


Cashier: “A number-five.”


Customer: “Yeah, but I don’t want none of that white stuff on it.”


Cashier: “No ‘white stuff’?”


Customer: “Right. None of that white stuff.”


Cashier: “Do you mean sour cream?”


Customer: “I don’t know what it’s called. That goopy white stuff.”


Cashier: “It’s called sour cream. . . . For future reference.”

0 comments :

Post a Comment