August 18, 2005
OVERHEARD: CENTER CITY


Overheard this morning at Robin’s Bookstore, an independent bookseller on South 13th Street in Center City Philadelphia, part of a conversation between two employees:


Employee No. 1: “In the e-mail he was telling me all about Bangladesh. Sounded awful.”


Employee No. 2: “Bangladesh isn’t so bad.”


Employee No. 1: “Well I told him not to go to Turkey.”


Employee No. 2: “Bangladesh and Turkey aren’t the same thing.”


Employee No. 1: “They’re not?”


Mr. McNally, please call your office. Mr. McNally.


Enough, though, with Bangladesh. How about we talk about Thailand?


I ask because it’s not only nearby, nearby Bangladesh I mean, but also because the New York Times today has an interesting piece, “An Exquisite Path to an Elusive Past,” by Holland Carter (Bonus points for the cool name, Holland!), about a new and apparently fascinating exhibit at the Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, Mass., “The Kingdom of Siam: The Art of Central Thailand, 1350-1800” (through October 16), that I wish I could see.

0 comments :

Post a Comment